Friday, January 21, 2011

No more Ask Vic and what it may mean for the Jaguars and fans


Welcome to my inaugural post on Around Pro Football.  My name is Craig and I live in Jacksonville.   As you can probably guess, I'll be covering the Jacksonville Jaguars here and I hope you guys enjoy my posts.  I have to be honest that I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan my whole life, but the Jaguars are near and dear to me.  Hopefully I'll be able to bring you guys some juicy inside info that you may not get anywhere else.  Stay tuned!

As most of you may or (if you've been stranded on a deserted island without the InterWebs) may not know, Vic Ketchman has resigned from the Jaguars.  He's leaving to work for the Green Bay Packers in an unknown capacity.  He has covered the Jaguars for all 16 years of their existence.  I don't think that I would be overstating the fact that Vic has been by far the most instrumental fan relations tool ANY NFL team has had.  Vic has literally taken the Jaguars from one end of the globe to another.  His Ask Vic column is a daily must read for many Jaguars fans and several I have spoken with are really in a state of disbelief.  Many have said that he was the only reason they went to jaguars.com.  So what does this all mean?  Let's take a look shall we.

What this DOES NOT mean:

  • Wayne Weaver is not selling the team.  I know he's getting old, but did you see Al Davis during the introduction of Hue Jackson as the Raiders next victim, I mean Head Coach?  I see the Raiders moving before the Jaguars go anywhere.
  • Ryan Robinson is going to woo as many fans as Vic did. I have met Ryan and really like, but sorry, he's no Vic!
  • That Khaki pants are going out of style.


What this DOES mean:

  • Ryan Robinson has some HUGE shoes to fill.
  • We may see more Ask The Players, which are always fun for the fans and the players.
  • There may not be in-game live blogging on Jaguars.com, which would really suck.
  • Vic will doing the same things for the Packers that he did for the Jaguars.
  • The Golf Tournament will live on.
  • Those Ask Vic coffee mugs are now collectors items!


But on another note, I really think this a very bad move for the Jaguars.  Mr. Weaver should have paid Vic whatever he wanted.  I have no doubt that the growth of fans of the Jaguars will be stunted if not slightly reduced.  Yes, I said it.  I think the Jaguars will LOSE fans because of the loss of Vic Ketchman.  For most fans, he IS the Jaguars.  Some hate him and some love him, but it didn't matter because they were FOLLOWING THE JAGUARS!

Last thing I'll leave you with.  Jaguars will NOT draft a FS in the first round.  The Jaguars WILL draft a shut down CB.  Mark my words.  Sorry Tyler.  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. So....what about the golf tournament living on???

    ReplyDelete